This is an advanced course designed for experienced project, program and portfolio managers who want to learn the best tactics for operating in an organization and persuading decision-makers to adopt the best practices in project management.
This course teaches experienced project managers the most effective techniques for implementing and managing a portfolio of projects in an organization. It deals with the strategy of implementing best practices in the organization and the tactics for applying these practices to projects and their project managers. This course has been approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI) for 60 PDUs.
The course consists of textbook reading and the application of what you’ve learned to an organization with which you are familiar. Your current employer is best but a previous employer or client is also acceptable. You will have live video conferences with your instructor to discuss the advanced tools, techniques and their application. Then you will make presentations to the subject organization’s management (role played by your instructor) to persuade them to adopt these best practices throughout the organization.
- Read and evaluate the course textbook in terms of its applicability to the process of assessing, designing and implementing sound enterprise project management processes.
- Secure the instructor’s approval of the organization you will assess and use for your implementation plan.
- For each of the four presentations, prepare a Numbers or PowerPoint slideshow as visual aid to your presentation. Send the slideshow to the instructor for evaluation and feedback and then schedule your presentation at a mutually convenient time.
- During your presentation, your instructor will play the role of the executives in your target organization and ask the kind of questions that executives ask about the project management process.
q Learn a number of approaches to enterprise project management to augment your skills in addressing organizational level issues.
q Apply organizational assessment skills to a company’s project management processes.
The course is for experienced project managers who have a mastery of the tools and techniques of project management. It will prepare them for executive-level positions managing a portfolio of project and project managers.
You must complete all assignments with a “B” or higher grade.
- Read sections 1 – 4, then assess the strengths and weaknesses of your target organization’s enterprise project governance. Develop a slideshow with your assessment and recommendations and send it to your instructor for feedback. Schedule the day and time for your live video presentation.
- Read sections 5 – 7 in the course textbook, then assess the impact of the portfolio management, organization structure and role of stakeholders on project success in your target organization. Develop a slideshow with your analysis and recommendations and send it to your instructor for feedback. Schedule the day and time for your live video presentation.
- Read sections 8 – 10 in the course textbook, then assess how the enterprise project management process would affect the different kinds of projects. Prepare your slideshow presentation and send it to your instructor for feedback. Schedule the day and time for your live video presentation.
- Read sections 11 – 13 in the course textbook, then develop your own implementation plan for improving the organizations project governance. Prepare your slideshow and send it to your instructor for feedback. Schedule the day and time for your live video presentation.
Your grade in the course will be determined by the average of your score on each of these four presentations. Grade of B is required to pass.